Lobby Days in Tallahassee – January 16 and 17, 2024 Get Ready for our Opportunity to be Heard!
- Reserve your room now! Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol Rooms & Rates (wyndhamhotels.com). Hotel rate is $120 per night. AAUW Florida will provide a subsidy for half of this amount as well as a small allowance for travel. We encourage branches to sponsor representatives for this important event.
- Arrive at the Wyndham Garden Hotel, 1355 Apalachee Parkway, on Monday evening January 15 by 8 pm.
- Plan to attend the Florida 2024 Legislative Preview, November 16 at 6:00 PM via Zoom, for a briefing on legislative priorities and methods, and a word from a couple of our most supportive legislators. https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAkf-6vrjorG9wseuWfT1bDNUuxiKnm7R9B
Lobby Weeks at Home
- November 27-Dec. 1, 2023 (Thanksgiving is early at Nov. 23)
- December 18-22, 2023
- January 1-5, 2024
Ensure legislators understand AAUW issues
Meeting with legislators is an effective and exciting way to make sure they understand AAUW positions on our priority issues. And there’s strength in numbers. That’s why AAUW Florida sponsors Lobby Days each year, encouraging branches throughout the state to participate.
The pandemic meant scheduling visits virtually in 2021 and 2022. But in 2023, we were back in person in Tallahassee, March 13-15, near the start of the legislative session. Branches represented were Tampa, St. Augustine, Venice, New Smyrna Beach, and Jacksonville. An AAUW Florida State member also participated.
Our public policy committee selects priority legislation each year and publishes talking points for attendees, and conduct training sessions. Priorities for 2023 were economic security, education and civil rights. Read a summary of priority legislation here. Click each item in the list below to read talking points for specific legislation.
- Equal Rights Amendment
- Human Trafficking
- School Choice
- Period Poverty
Continue to advocate for gender equity
Lobby Days are over till next year, but that doesn’t mean advocacy efforts should end. In preparation for attending Lobby Day, participants did their homework. You can use the same preparations and get in touch with your legislators any time. You don’t have to wait till next year’s Lobby Days.
- Identify your legislators, and call or email them or their legislative aides to arrange meetings.
- Review our positions for the top priority bills on our 2023 legislative agenda and talking points.
- Review the AAUW Public Policy Advocacy Toolkit for tips on meetings with legislators, and more.
- Give legislators information about AAUW when you contact them. The state public policy committee will provide guidance.
- Sign up to be a Two-Minute Activist.
- Review AAUW Quick Facts.