VIRTUAL ADVOCACY WEEK 2022 January 18 through January 21
ARE YOU READY TO LOBBY!
Every year, we schedule Lobby Days to let Florida legislators know where AAUW Florida stands on important issues. This year, we’ve partnered with SACAC (Southern Association for College Admissions Counselling) for Virtual Advocacy Week, Tuesday, January 18 through Friday, January 21.
Join us! There’s still time to register! You can make a difference without leaving home!
Daily sessions: Noon – 1 p.m.
Learn from panels and speakers on key issues and legislative priorities:
- Tuesday, January 18 – AAUW legislative priorities, including women’s economic security, education, civil rights, and voting issues
- Wednesday, January 19 – Title IX
- Thursday, January 20 – Financial aid
- Friday, January 21 – School profiles
Information and tools
The AAUW FL Public Policy Committee has assembled a host of resources to help you make lobbying successful.
- Identify your legislators. Call/email to set up meetings.
- Get familiar with AAUW-FL 2022 Priority Legislation.
- Review talking points to use when contacting your legislators about:
- Adapt this Sample letter to send to your legislators.
- Respond to the AAUW-FL Action Alert when received from National.
Review the AAUW Public Policy Advocacy Toolkit for more suggestions.
AAUW Virtual Lobby Days – 2021
March 17, 2021
How we spent the day
We weren’t able to lobby our legislators in person this year due to the pandemic. But technology made it possible for us to make sure lawmakers understand issues important to us.
More than 50 members heard speakers from both the Florida Senate and House as well as members of AAUW Florida Public Policy Committee through Zoom. The two-hour morning session workshop also provided information on key bills and tips on virtual lobbying.
Participants then spent the rest of the day meeting virtually with their legislators to discuss our legislative agenda.
How we prepared
Before Lobby Day, participants did their homework. You can use the same preparations before getting in touch with your legislators. You don’t have to wait till next year’s Lobby Days.
- Identify your legislators and call or email them or their legislative aides to arrange meetings.
- Identify your county legislative delegation by AAUW branch.
- Give legislators information about AAUW when you contact them. The state public policy committee will provide guidance.
- Sign up to be a Two-Minute Activist.
- Review AAUW Quick Facts.
- Review our positions for the top priority bills on our legislative agenda, and talking points. (The links show the positions and talking points for the 2021 session.)